Smart technology is a new and innovative way to transform your lifestyle at home. They are convenient to use, energy-efficient, and even cost-saving. With any new technology it can seem daunting at first, and most don’t even know where to begin. To get you started, here is a list of insights on how to make your home a smart home.
What is Smart Home Technology?
This term may sound familiar to you in conversation, but do you know the full meaning of what it means to have a smart home? “Smart home” refers to the convenient home setup where appliances and devices can be controlled remotely from anywhere with an internet connection and smartphone.
Devices in a smart home are interconnected through the internet, allowing the user to have authority over the different functions such as adjusting the temperature, turning on and off lights, security access to doors, and cameras to monitor their house when away. These smart devices are controlled around the house with a simple push of a button or voice command.
Smart devices come in a variety of products that can be set up through wireless or hardwired systems that give you convenience and can be cost-saving.
How Smart Homes Work
Smart home devices are connected and can be accessed through one central point on a smartphone, tablet, laptop, or game console. The system is installed on a mobile or other networked device, and the user can create time schedules and changes to the devices. Smart home appliances have self-learning skills so they learn and adapt to homeowner’s schedules. Smart homes with enabled lighting control allow homeowners to reduce electricity use and benefit from energy-related cost savings. One of the useful features is the smart security systems is that they can alert the homeowner of any motion detected in the home when they are away or call the authorities in case of an emergency.
Pros and Cons of Owning a Smart Home
- Installing a smart home technology system is convenient because it gives you complete control over the house features in one device.
- Since they are connected to a portable device users can get notifications and updates on issues in their homes.
- Homeowners can benefit from cost-saving because appliances and electronics can be used more efficiently, lowering energy costs.
- There are some challenges due to the security risks and bugs that are in technology. For example, hackers can gain access to smart homes and mess with appliances.
- The costs of buying and installing smart technology can be expensive.
Features that You Can Control from Your Device
- Sound: Get a smart speaker for the main hangout room that will add another dimension to listening to music. Not only does it play music, but most smart speakers are equipped with a voice assistant that does all kinds of things from setting an alarm, weather forecasts, timers, and reminders. You just have to get comfortable with saying, “Hey Google,” or “Hey Alexa” with confidence.
- Lighting: Yes smart light bulbs exist and can turn an ordinary room into one that can fit any mood. These smart light bulbs transform the way you live by adjusting the lights without getting up. If you don’t want to swap out your light bulbs, you can upgrade to a smart light switch that lets you control the lighting, even if you are away.
- Temperature: Smart thermostats can be used with home automation and function as a programmable thermostat with additional features that allow users to adjust the settings from internet-connected devices. Smart thermostats are not only energy savings but cost-efficient.
- Security: If you want to keep an eye on your outdoor space, having a smart security system can ease your worries when you are away from home from potential break-ins or package thefts.
- Cleaning: Smart trash cans and vacuums can make your cleaning routine easy and even hands-free.
Alltek Systems Design Home Automation
If you are looking into installing smart home devices, Alltek Systems Design can help you turn your home into a smart home. With experience in designing and installing solutions to your home or commercial building in Asheville, North Carolina, we provide installation, maintenance, service, and training. Our mission is to provide the best electronic systems solution for your home or business. Contact us to schedule your appointment today.